Skip to content
August 14, 2012 / gaillovely

Keeping Promises

Keeping promises is extremely important. It is a matter of trust and of truth. In this case, I am keeping a promise to myself. I am taking risks. I am facing fears. It is an interesting thing to do, to decide publicly to take risks and then to follow through with the promise. So, about now, if anyone is reading this, they are thinking this is boring and not worth returning. That’s okay, this is actually for me. YEP. This is all about ME.

I have had “writer’s block” for about the last 10 years or so. I do not really understand WHY I have this block, but I do know it is very real. I know that I have avoided written tasks. I have tried to talk myself out of it, I have tried to reason myself out of it, I have tried to “psychology” myself out of it, but I have finally realized I cannot do that. I have to write myself out of it, and that is not easy.

So, what to do? Well, last weekend I pushed myself beyond myself and attended “Unplugd12” in Canada. I went because it was a writing task instead of not going to avoid the writing. I went to deal with my block in a very deep and personal way.

And I survived.

In another post I will detail more about unplugd, but right now it is about me (remember?). So I went, and I wrote, and I learned and I grew… oh yes, I did laugh and cry and paddle a canoe too (but that is for another post). The most important thing I did was I made myself a promise… I WILL write. I will write for me. I will write publicly and I will write privately too, but no matter what I WILL write.

SO today, the first day home with a good night’s sleep I decided to write a blog post.

1. I had to find my old blog – you see I thought I would do this last year too… and I did.
  2. I had to remember my log in information… and I failed
  3. I had WordPress send me my log in and then I had them send me my password… and they did.
  4. I had to write my post… and I failed.
  5. I had to figure out why I could not type in the “New Post” text box… and I failed.
  6. I could have quit, but I didn’t. I contacted a friend for help and he could do it… but I still failed.
  7. I restarted the browser… and I still failed
  8. I restarted my computer… and I still failed
  9. I changed browsers from Firefox to Safari… and it worked!
  10. I began writing.

I had so many reasons to quit. I had so many failures. I had so many excuses to NOT write… but I AM writing. I am keeping my promise to myself… just write.

Keeping this promise to myself feels good.

10 Comments

1. Wesley Fryer / Aug 19 2012 10:27 PM

And I’m proud of you! You have so much to share, and blogging is a great way to do it… I hope you’ll keep writing. Each failure is a lesson learned. Keep embracing the challenge… New routines are very hard to establish. Writing regularly is a good one to cultivate, even short posts. I’ve been less inclined to write daily this summer since Alex and I returned from Philmont, but I think that is ok. Routines can and probably should change like that… I’m sending you some of my past passion for writing daily, then! Translate it into a charge to write at least weekly! You can do it!

• gaillovely / Aug 22 2012 3:42 PM

Wes, Thanks for believing in my when I am so unsure. I appreciate your support greatly. Gail

2. Karen Lirenman / Aug 20 2012 12:01 AM

Gail the first step is always the toughest and look at you now. Pretty sure I just read a blog post from you and soon the world will be able to read your Unplugd writing too. I’m super proud of you right now. Keep it up. I can’t wait to read some more. This first post made me smile. I know it wasn’t easy for you.

• gaillovely / Aug 22 2012 3:44 PM

Thanks Karen! It is hard for me, but with support from you and others I am making progress. I hope my blog will bring you information and give you a reason to return more than once! Gail

3. fryed / Aug 20 2012 4:18 AM

The first three paragraphs of your writing for Unplug’d made me gasp.

You have so much to share and you already do it much better than you give yourself credit for.

Keep writing. Keep sharing. We are all richer for having learned from you.

• gaillovely / Aug 22 2012 3:39 PM

YOU are kind and generous. Your comment encourages me and warms my heart. Thank you!

4. thecleversheep / Aug 20 2012 6:08 AM

Way cool!
    Publishing ha its ebbs and flows. I’m coming through a phase where I’m more inclined to write in different ways… using images and maps and video to convey messages that in writing seem to me to be a bit more work. The first post and the first word are the most challenging, and having the desire to have everything perfect before pressing ‘publish’ can be overwhelming. When you recognize that the writing is as much for yourself as for any audience that may ponder your posts, it’s easier to hit that button. You have me hearing Dr. Seuss when I say “You’re off to great things… Hip hip hooray!”.What a wonderful day- isn’t it?

• gaillovely / Aug 22 2012 3:45 PM

Rodd,
      Thanks for your support and for the invitation to grow through the unpluggd experience. I hope to keep paddling along!

5. Michelle Stasiuk (@MichelleStasiuk) / Aug 22 2012 2:55 PM

Great post Gail. I hear you on any apprehension you may have felt, but you’re a great writer and I love the look of your blog and its title! Can’t wait to read more. Props for keeping promises 🙂

• gaillovely / Aug 22 2012 3:40 PM

Thanks for your support and encouragement. We all journey together, your comment reminds me I am not alone in my journey. THANKS!

Leave your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s